A gravel festival of our dreams
Backlands Gravel Festival welcomes you to the beautiful Odsherred in Denmark. This event is made by Gravellers, for Gravellers.
The epicenter of the festival is the wonderful Anneberg Kulturpark. Here we are going to eat, drink, sleep and have fun, while charging up for some sweaty hours on our bikes in the extraordinary diverse and picture perfect landscape of Odsherred – a UNESCO Global Geopark.
Here we have it all, dark and mysterious forests, open fields, sandy and windy beaches, and hilly climbs, enough for everyone. All together, it makes for perfect gravel days. We arrange all your food during the event (included in the price), but there will also be options to stop and enjoy local delicacies, on your own or with one of the Trail Captains.
2 DAYS | SAT-SUN
Your pass to 2 days of gravel cycling festivities for Saturday and Sunday. Start to get excited!
If you don't own a suitable bike, we offer you these options to add to your order while booking tickets.
Gravel bike rental:
2-days Basic (alu or steel): 700,-
2-days Luxury (carbon): 1.400,-
Our route creators have spent a long time creating the best routes the area has to offer. They are both beautiful and challenging with a discreet mix of different types of terrain. There are distances for every taste. From the friendly at 50-60 km, over the cool at 70-80 km to the challenging at 140 km and more than 1000+ meters of vertical gain! Read more
After nice hours in the terrain, it's time to enjoy some good music. Friday and Saturday nights, the festival offers live music and DJs to create the right gravel atmosphere.
The ticket price includes delicious organic breakfast, lunch and dinner ... and if you want an extra snack, it is possible to buy various delicacies from a carefully selected range of food trucks.
The festival offers a carefully planned program of talks with various interesting people from the gravel community.
Camping with a tent is free. Extra luxury can be purchased in the form of an environment friendly cardboard tent (yes it is rain proof).
LANDSLIDE TROPHY RACE
At the festival venue you can also choose to participate in this cool (and muddy) race, which is a 100 meter long mano a mano sprint in a cup tournament format. Always great fun. Always dirty. The winner gets a ticket for next year's festival as defending champion.
Friday and Saturday we show both Danish and international gravel films in the festival's very own cinema.
Come and have a chat with the best mechanics or gravel photographers. We've made sure they're at the festival, where they come to show off their skills and share their knowledge ... and maybe share a tip or two.
What you get
- 3x3 meter camping spot. No more, no less. Make yourself at home!
- All meals included. Breakfast, lunch and dinner incl. one beverage of your choice i.e. coffee, juice, soft drink, beer or wine.
- A great variety of carefully selected gravel rides and routes. Long and tough. Short and sweet. Race it... or don't. It's up to you. Read more about the rides here.
- Backlands Trail Captains will lead the way on designated rides.
- Race segments will be signposted along certain routes if you feel like pushing hard!
- Professional on-site mechanical support (mechanics own prices apply).
- Backlands Welcome Goodie Kit:
- Festival wristband.
- Energy products.
- Route maps.
- Backlands Brevet collector's card.
- Trail Angels will accompany you on the trails with extra tubes, tools, good spirits and a helping hand.
- Cold and warm refreshments along the routes at our Fuel stations.
- The routes as GPX track.
- Professional photos to keep for a perfect memory. You also get your very own personal Backlands profile shot taken - with your bike of course.
- Huge campfire and musical entertainment – live music and DJ's.
- Popup duels ("How fast can you fix a flat?", "Gravel Quiz" etc.) We just like to have fun! And look out for some fun awards too
- Talks and adventure – meet and greet some inspiring guys and girls talking about their awesome stories from around the world in our Adventure Land.
- Gravel bike documentaries and adventure films from around the world will be showing in our Film Land.
- Showers and toilets.
- Security and 24/7 guards in our fenced bike parking area.
- Bike-cleaning area with racks and water.
- Wetlands Cafe & Bar. Here you can find and buy a superb celebration of danish and local canned and draft beer.
- Snack Land with a small but excellent choice of food and snacks, if you feel a little more hungry.
- Tech Land – visit the future of Gravel & Bikepacking.
- Outland’dish – our out-in-the-open lunch stop (All gravel routes will pass through for lunch).
- Landslide Trophy Race – carve through the mud and bring home the trophy!
- Hangover 10 meter Race – the slowest race on earth. No awards, lots of glory!
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay in the loop about the festival, as we publish news and highlights to get you excited for a gravelling weekend at Backlands Gravel Series Geopark Odsherred Edition.
Wanna know more? We've got a whole FAQ section for you right here.
- Backlands Festival site opens - set up your camp and feel at home.
- Visit our Wetlands Cafe & Bar for an after work drink or two.
Festival day 1
- OFFICIAL OPENING CEREMONY BACKLANDS @ 09:00
- Gravel rides:
- Backlands Brevet (150 km)
- Hinterland (62 km)
- Starterland (25 km)
- Fast Land (89 km)
- Ferryland (65 km)
- Lunch served in the open - enjoy a nice meal on your route at Outland’dish.
- Back in Camp: Explore our Backlands Camp Site and enjoy various stages of entertainment, talks and mechanics showcases in our Film Land, Adventure Land and Tech Land.
- Enjoy a variety of gravelbike documentaries and adventure films in our Film Land.
- Treat your bike to a tune-up at our on-site mechanic (mechanics own prices apply).
- Landslide Trophy Race - our epic 100m mud sprint! Eliminate your opponents, take home the coveted trophy and have your name written into Backlands history!
- Dinner & drinks
- DJ's and live music
Festival day 2
- Rise and shine - breakfast is served!
- Hangover 10 meter Race - the slowest race on earth!
- Gravel rides:
- Neverland (78 km)
- Heartland (52 km)
- Back in Camp:
- Enjoy your lunch which will be ready when you come back.
- Wrap-up talk at Words Stage.
- Thanks for sharing the weekend with us, we hope to see you soon again!
- All rides are navigated by GPX files provided by Backlands.
- GPX files will be sent exclusively to all our patrons a week before the festival opens.
- Every ride has a fixed amount of departures (15 min. intervals) with a fixed amount of participants. You can choose freely which slot you would like to attend. The departures and times are clearly marked at the festival and will be published approx. 1 week before the festival.
- Flagposts will be positioned at specific crosspoints to show you the right way.
- Backlands offer a variety of rides for every rider’s taste. All our rides are tailored to fit your needs whether you’re feeling social, speedy or ready to conquer the rolling hills.
- Ride as you please, just show up and go! You can ride as many rides a day as you please. On your own, with friends or in a group ride.
- Rides marked with “TC” will be led by a designated Trail Captain.
- All rides and routes are categorised into three different groups: Easy, Intermediate or Advanced, depending on pace and/or technical difficulty.
- Backlands Brevet is our signature explorer ride on Saturday. At the beginning of the ride you get a passport type card called a “brevet card,” which gets stamped at checkpoints along the way. The Brevet card becomes your “proof of passage” showing that you completed the entire course. During the Backlands Brevet ride you will also pass several Strava segments. These segments will be clearly posted on the route. This is your chance to give it your best shot and get your name up on the Strava leaderboard. Participants for the Backlands Brevet will be assigned a starting time.
- Fuel stations will be provided along the routes. Lunch & Power Snacks are included in the ticket price.
- Fun & Games! At Backlands we like to have fun. Our Landslide Trophy Race is a perfect example. 100 meters mano a mano sprint on a course covered in mud! You can also try our Hangover Race - the slowest race on earth! Look out for more fun and games on arrival.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to know more about the rides and routes, as we publish specific route details and highlights to get you excited for a gravelling weekend at Backlands Gravel Series Geopark Odsherred Edition.
Wanna know more? We've got a whole FAQ section for you right here.